Are you in the process of designing your dream home? If so, there are some practical considerations that you’ll want to keep in mind. Here are a few things we recommend thinking about if you’re building a home of your own:
1.) Use Natural Light Effectively
Famous architect Richard Meier once remarked that one of the most common design problems in the average home was not taking advantage of natural light. Because lighting accounts for 25-40% of energy consumption, utilizing natural light can be a great way to cut back on your electricity bill and promote better lighting. Adding extra windows can be an excellent way to make your home more open and inviting. One word of caution, though: take privacy into consideration. For instance, you probably don’t want to place bedroom or bathroom windows too close to a neighbor’s window. Another thing to keep in mind: the color and height of ceilings can affect the way light is distributed throughout the house.
2.) Pay Attention to the Little Details
While most people have an overarching vision for their home, they sometimes neglect to think about the minor details. Don’t gloss over the little details when you’re in the process of designing your own home! Here are some questions to think about:
· Which way do we want the doors to open?
· How many light switches do we want? Where should the light switches be placed in each room?
· How many electrical outlets do we want? Where should they be placed?
· How high do we want the ceilings to be?
· How much storage do we want?
· Where do we want the laundry room to be located?
· Do we want carpet or hardwood floors?
Thinking through all the minor details will guarantee that your house is both functional and inviting.
3.) Figure Out What Kind of Flooring You Want
Most people put floors last on their decision list. However, the floors can make the biggest impression when you first walk into a house. Take the time to think about what type of flooring you want and what you can afford.
Do you prefer carpet, rubber, linoleum, hardwood or cork floors? Here are some questions you should ask yourself:
1. Do you want to be unique in what you use for floors so that your house has lots of character? Do you want to make a statement? We have unique options to help with this, such as end grain hardwood, reclaimed hardwood, sisal, and seagrass.
2. How will you use your floors? Do you have pets or kids? Hardwoods with area rugs are a good option if you have kids. Laminate or vinyl may be a good option if you have big dogs running through your house all the time. Do you like to get out of bed in the morning and feel the warm and soft feeling of carpet? If so, we have several different types of carpet available.
3. Do you want Earth conscious materials used on your floor? We have cork, bamboo and linoleum.
Whether you want wood floors or carpet, we can find something that you’ll love! Talking with a professional from Ozburn-Hessey about your flooring needs will help you get exactly what you need. We can provide estimates and recommendations for various types of flooring. Call us today for a free estimate!
By following these simple tips, you’ll make sure that the house you are building is both perfect and practical.